Monday, April 2, 2007

Exercise #22: ebooks


The day will come, most likely, when a technology will replace the physical book bound with paper, glue, thread, etc ... The book as we know it, however, will never go away just as lp's most likely won't ever be completely abandoned by passionate collectors. So ebooks are a natural progression and I'm sure lots of folks dig 'em, but ask for a person's preference and I'm pretty sure most would rather posess a physical specimen to hold on to and form a bond with. That being said, I don't have much of an opinion on ebooks only because I accept that they are the inevitable evolution of printed material and yet totally uninteresting to me on a personal level. If I can get a library patron happily on his/her way with an electronic copy of something they so desperately "need" then I'm all for the convenience. Most people presume librarians are book collectors and bibliophiles in general, but frankly I don't buy many books (that's what libraries are for!) and would not consider ebooks as being a replacement for an activity that is vital, simple, and personal. So I'll keep picking-up the occassional copy at the segunda, making requests through Link+, and hoping that I can always find what I desire in a glorious hard copy.

No comments: