Monday, March 26, 2007

Exercise #13: del.icio.us ... the yellow haze of the sun


Social bookmarking. Hmmmph. After trying to grasp the basics of del.icio.us I've come to the conclusion that the way people use tags and bookmarking is purely for personal reasons first and foremost. So if the value of these tools is to build networks of shared information, is it really rational to think that this is in fact how the tools are initially used? I mean, I think that the majority of del.icio.us users probably are keen on the facility of personalized bookmarking that is free-roaming and not tied to a particular computer, but unless directed to utilize as an aggregated collection of tags and bookmarks, is everybody going to potentially use it as such. Hell, I don't know, but I plead ignorance because I'm not on the vanguard of tech tools and only with time and applied use will I understand the enormity (or proposed enormity) of utilizing this in our profession. One can see the possibilities of guiding library users to shared lists of recommended sites related to books, bookclubs, information of all stripes basically, but until I'm using it regularly it will remain an amorphous idea that will take shape slowly and , hopefully, surely.

No comments: